Don’t you love random inexpensive discoveries?
After work last week I went into woolworths (or safeaway) looking for psyllium husk so I could make a huge batch of flaxseed and nut crackers and couldn’t find them, so I checked out their new-to-store basket of organic macro foods and found a packet of Raw Buckwheat.
I looked at, then looked at my phone and opened up Pinterest. I searched Raw Buckwheat and a ton of overnight oat recipes came up. I don’t usually eat oatmeal but my oh my after looking at this one particular photo (I cant find! Dahm it!) which had chocolate oozing out of everywhere, there was no putting it back. For $3 p/300g – I HAD to buy the Buckwheat and HAD to make the oatmeal. Even if I did have it for lunch + dinner.
With a little extra chocolatey protein powder and cacao, I think I possibly created the best all-round every meal combo ever….. Yep, even better then pancakes! (A big call, I know). Check it out:
Cacao.late Banana Buckwheat Oats
On the shopping list:
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats (I used gluten free)
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 1.5 tbs chocolate protein powder***
- 250 ml nut milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat
- 1 banana, mashed
*** Adding chocolate protein powder is optional. I usually steer clear from protein powders as I like to obtain my macro-nutrients via diet, but decided to add it for an extra post-workout protein boost as I was on the run, for a thicker and more chocolatey taste. kind of like Nutella, but healthier 😉
In the kitchen:
- Mash banana and add into a saucepan with oats, cacao, protein powder, milk and buckwheat.
- Stir and cook on LOW heat for approximately five minutes. (Make sure you mix every 30 seconds so it doesn’t stick to the bottom)
- Remove from heat and transfer into bowl. Drizzle with a little honey.