I have been looking for a simple, easy eggplant lasagna recipe E V E R Y W H E R E but couldn’t find one that didn’t use cheese or pasta sheets. Kind of annoying, I know. Frustrating? I get you. So I made my own recipe….. because I was craving this one realllllllll bad. Like REALLLLLLLLLL bad.
Eggplant is a great low-calorie and nutrient dense alternative to pasta if you are gluten free and is even enjoyable grilled in a little olive oil. Oh, and its also quite impressive cut in thin strips, grilled, filled with tuna + avocado, rolled and then baked in the oven, topped with flaxseeds. [Food porn right there]
Typically eggplant lasagna is multiple layers of base sauce, “cheese sauce” and eggplant (borrrrinnnnnggg) but I love to incorporate as many vegetables as possible, where possible, so I decided to add a pop of colour and use spinach, pumpkin and broccoli in the same layer as the eggplant. And organic chicken, from last nights dinner.
As for the “cheese sauce” – its cheesy. but without the cheese. I used nutritional yeast flakes (they look like fish flakes tbh) which are high in vitamins B, contains all 18 amino acids and is vegan, gluten, dairy and soy free, in coconut cream with egg, instead of blocked cheese. To my surprise, it actually worked. Yay!
This recipe has 3 parts to it: the tomato base, the “cheese”, the layers. All up, it took just under 1 hours to make.
Have fun and get creative – I had a ball making this!
Eggplant Lasagna | gf, df, paleo, hp, fav
Serves: 4-6 | Time: 1 hour
- 1 can / 1.5 cups peeled tomatoes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken (OPTIONAL)
- Combine all ingredients, stir and boil on stove top. Remove and let cool until warm.
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast flakes (also known a yeast flakes)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Whisk eggs and nutritional yeast until eggs are beated, then add coconut cream and whisk again until combined smoothly.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 2 broccoli florets cut like seen above in picture.
- ‘Cheese’ layer
- Tomato Layer
[C O N S T R U C T I N G]
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grill off eggplant in a pan to remove any extra water.
- Then, choose a deep square or rectangle dish. I chose a 30cm x 30cm based on eye judgment from the size of my chosen eggplant.
- Using a small ladle, spread a thin layer of tomato base onto the bottom of the pan – enough to colour – followed by a thin layer of cheese, then eggplant and spinach. REPEAT until you have run out of each layer BUT make sure the TOP is FINISHED WITH THE CHEESE LAYER to ensure a cheesy and crisp finishing upon removal from oven.
- Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a big fresh salad, sweet potato, crackers or enjoy on its own.
Enjoy and don’t forget to share your creations with me on Instagram – bodyofnature