Wow, what a tragic event which occurred over night. I was only watching it through the news and I was uneasy with chills, so I cannot imagine what it was like for the countless amount of emergency services, journalists, police and captives who experienced the horrible event first hand on the scene. I commend and respect everyone for their hard work and endless hours spent covering the story and putting the safety and wellbeing of those affected, first. My sincere prays and thoughts go out to all hostages and their families and those who were tragically lost in the Sydney Lindt cafe seize. #Illridewithyou. Pray for Sydney.
In more positive news, here is day 9 from my series of 12 days till Christmas countdown.
Avocado Pesto ‘ZOODLES’ w/ Mushroom + Pomegranate
- 4 each small green zucchini, cut into zoodles
- 1 tbsp light flavored oil (like light olive oil, ghee)
- salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 medium ripe avocado (important the avo is ripe, otherwise your pesto will be brown and off colour)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- If you haven’t already, cut your zoodles, using a julienne peeler or spiralizer, (Don’t have one? Click the link to buy one)
- Once your zoodles have been cut, season them with salt and pepper. Toss them around, so that they are evenly coated with the seasoning. Set them aside for about 20 minutes. EXTRA: The salt will pull some of the moisture out of the zoodles and will also macerate them and make them soft and pliable, without any cooking.
- In a blender, blend avocado, olive oil and lemon juice until thick and smooth. Let sit. EXTRA: The acidity of the lemon juice will prevent the avocado from browning.
- Heat up a large non-stick sauté pan, over medium-high heat.
- Add oil and evenly spread the zoodles around the bottom of the pan. Toss them in the pan to mix, then spread them flat on the bottom of the pan. Let them “sear” for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Toss them one more time, spread them out, let them sear for about 30 seconds longer, then add avocado pesto. Rest for 30 seconds.
- Serve! With mushrooms and pomegranate seeds. Or toppings of your choice